Mini connection issues

First off I want to ask if anyone knows if they app control is locally through your LAN or cloud based?
I’m having issues. connecting to my new Mini and it’s likely due to my work’s guest wifi restrictions. (we’re only allowed to use the guest wifi for personal devices like our phones.) I know they restrict traffic and disallow any devices to connect to each other, only outbound to the internet. I can get my mini to connect to the network, lights go from pulsing blue to rainbow after app setup, but then I cannot connect to it after that. I have also upgraded the firmware using the USB connection and online tool. I’m curious if it needs a local handshake before adding to my account then using cloud control? I’ve had some smart plugs use this kind of behavior and I couldn’t use them at work, but would work fine at home.

I guess the main question is: If I connect to my mini using a different wifi (like bringing it home), get it to connect and add to my account, then would I be able to connect it to my work network and be able to control it?

Anyone figure this out? Still haven’t been able to connect to my mini on my work network. Love my very expensive paper weight…

@dvorak The Guest network at most corporate offices usually has the “Client Isolation” enabled, you won’t be able to connect your mobile to Oasis Mini.

Oasis Mini does require peer-to-peer communication over the network and access to the internet to download the patterns.

Thanks

@JuniorVeloso,
Yes I know that client isolation is enabled on our network.
I have some follow up questions:

1. Does the unit require a WiFi connection to function, or can it work offline once setup? (does it store patterns and etc. needed to function locally?)
  2. If the unit does require WiFi to function, can it be on a different network than the one it was setup on? (as in, setup on a home network, then brought to work)

I would love to see a offline/local option for people like me who can’t connect to them due to network restrictions. It can create it’s own network for initial setup so I would assume it would able to do this (hardware not limiting).

Another possibility is complete control via the cloud, with no peer-to-peer communications needed. (like smart home products, Google Home as an example)

2 Likes

@dvorak I will discuss with the team, evaluate the options, and see what can be included in the software roadmap.

I will keep you posted.

Thank you

Jr