Thoughts after a month of use

I’ve had my Oasis mini for about 4 weeks now, I wanted to give it a fairly good run before posting any feedback, so here are some observations after a month of use and to see if I should raise a support ticket or try to resolve some of the issues myself.

• When I first received the unit I was experiencing the issue with noisy gears. Running the unit with the spiral pattern as suggested has improved things somewhat, but there are still positions where it is making quite a bit of noise. I’ve also noticed positions where the ball appears to be struggling to move, this is most noticeable with the spiral patterns where I can see the ball slow down drastically in places.

• At first I was having an issue with distored images but that was was resolved with a reset. While not as bad as it first was the problem has returned to some degree, and resetting either using the button or powering off has not resolved the matter. I didn’t encounter the issue with rotated images at first but that has now started happening, and again, resetting the unit doesn’t return them to the correct orientation.

• It wasn’t an issue when I first received the unit, but I am now having the problem where the ball is having trouble moving to the edge. I suspect this is contributing the distortion I’m seeing in the images; they are generally correct but they are not quite scaled correctly in one axis, which could be because the movement of the ball is being constrained by something.

• Over time a mismatch develops between where the software thinks the ball is and where it actually is. Some informal testing suggests the problem is worse with higher table speeds. It’s very noticeable when using the in to out spiral pattern with the LEDs set to follow the ball. At lower speeds the ball stays largely in sync with the LEDS, but when I use a higher speed it becomes quite obvious that something isn’t tracking correctly. There is still some degree of drift at lower speeds, but this is only obvious with the patterns which take the longest time to draw.

• Like a lot of people I’m having problems with the out to in spiral not reaching the centre. At first it got fairly close to the centre, but over time the problem has got worse and now it finished with the ball only a centimeter or two from the outer edge.

I suspect that some of these problems can be resolved by applying the various fixes such as glueing the magnet in place and adding more lubricant to the gears, which I’m happy to do, but I want to be sure this isn’t something that warrants a replacement unit before I go down that path. Any advice from support on the best way to proceed with this would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like