Different Ball Sizes Comparison

I just want to take a moment to appreciate how beautiful the Oasis Mini is. Aside from the hardware issues, this thing is a marvel once you get past the quirks. I’ve always wanted a Sisyphus, and this feels like the next best thing. After applying the fix I mentioned in another thread, I haven’t had any more problems. Now, I wanted to share how using different sizes of steel balls can make the drawings a bit sharper. I’ll show you the difference between the 6mm ball (smallest one that comes with the Oasis Mini), and smaller 4mm and 3mm ones, using the honeybee pattern for all three.

Ball Size: 6mm

Ball Size: 4mm

Ball Size: 3mm

Out of the three sizes, I decided to stick with the 4mm. While it doesn’t provide as much detail as the 3mm, it smooths out the sand better, avoiding the clumping that’s noticeable with the smaller ball. The downside is that the LEDs don’t reflect as brightly off the 4mm ball compared to the 6mm, and half the time, you’re left wondering where the ball is!

5 Likes

Great comparison.
The 4mm does look sharper. I had 3 balls on my Oasis, that seems bigger than 6mm, like 7, 8 and 10mm.
Did you? If yes, could you add them to compare?

1 Like

Well done! Thanks for the comparison!

1 Like

Yea mine came with 3 steel balls. I’ll find some time over the weekend to make a comparison.

Thank you @AlbeeDC, this explanation of the ball sizes is Super Helpful.! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for sharing this is very useful!

We just got the one ball with ours, would that be the 6mm one?

Thank you so much for the comparison! I’m going to find a 4mm ball bearing now!