Sandy Sand Suggestions

Anybody else come across reddit posts mentioning shuffleboard powder for use in sandscapes?

I’ve noticed a competitor’s recent 11" model comes with “Whisperlite Microbeads” which sounds a lot like shuffleboard powder and I am eager to try it.

Does anyone here have any insights into the variations between the powders?

1 Like

Has anyone tried mica powders? Here are a few examples, I have on hand.

@Zach, any reason I cannot test these mica powders in my beta unit? Happy to be the first one but didn’t want to break my unit if others had already tried and failed.

1 Like

I’ve tried it. Things that are powdery don’t work very well. The particles tend to stick together instead of flowing, so the negative features end up being very strong, and the positive features are pretty fuzzy. I’ve tried things like baking flour as well with the same results. You can try mica, and I wouldn’t expect it to damage anything, but you might dye the rubber surface.

1 Like

This is something Zach and I have discussed since the KS launched as mica and compounds like it tie together so many of my hobbies.

There is not much that this guy has not tried - he confessed to baking flour!

Mica + moisture = dye. Careful.

Charged particles as he also stated bring complexities and trade offs.
Don’t ask Zach about magnetic substrate! :slight_smile: And DONT TRY IT YOURSELF!

I think what everyone agrees is that we are looking for definition, density, and reflection/refraction of the light.

We really could use an exhaustive list to avoid pitfalls! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is it possible to order some more oasis mini sand?

3 Likes

It will be in about 2 weeks! It is surprisingly difficult to import the sand material, so it’s gotten held up a bit with customs.

3 Likes

Meanwhile THOUSANDS OF KILO of drugs proliferate the country…

Go figure!

Any updates on the stretch goals deliveries?

2 Likes

The stretch goals are at the distribution warehouse. I just need to get orders uploaded to their fulfillment software.

The extra sand packets did quite literally get seized for a couple of days. It’s sorted out now. It was one of those things that we half-joking thought could happen but didn’t expect actually would.

3 Likes

where can I buy additional sand? I messed up and mixed the glitter and sand together. It was not that pretty. So now I need to get just the sand, please.

On the sand side, I see that the glitter sticks to the ball, I’m not looking forward to trying to swap them out…
Has anyone tried something like baby powder? I’m thinking of adding a little as it works really well to remove sand from feet at the beach…

Has anyone tried gemstone dust? It seems interesting, but I don’t wanna ruin everything

Ok has anyone tried or thought about glow in the dark luminescent powder if you stuck with the basic blue or green you wouldn’t get those other chemical makeups that could have issues with a magnet if you use technoglow.
Hmmmm
Now im curious. . Especially considering you can get it capsulated or uncapsulated and finer micron. It’s always shocking how bright it glows even in a brightly lit room after just 1 minute of natural sunlight it glows bright enough with all the lights on in this room it is noticeably brighter

Any updates on when and where we can buy additional sand? Or what we should look for on Amazon that will work?

1 Like

I did test this by mixing it with the normal sand which reduced the glow a bit. It was still a really cool effect especially after charging the sand with a blacklight. I’m not sure that the glow powders would work well on their own, but they definitely worked when mixed with the standard sand.

It should be this week. We have it in stock just working on adding it to the site.

3 Likes

Yes I thought for special occasion doing a pattern and leaving it so glow effect was brighter like say Halloween but I agree it’s way too fine for use on it own

Just ordered it, thanks!

Hi everyone! Do any residents in Europe (or France) have suggestions for sand? I can’t find anything to replace the original sand. If I lose it one day, I won’t have anything to replace it, and it’s really frustrating… The official site doesn’t offer shipping outside the United States, and I was ready to pay for it. I would have appreciated a goodwill gesture of including a second bag of white sand instead of removing the glitter. I experiment a lot with my Oasis Mini, and I’ve taken it apart several times to make mechanical fixes, and each time I lose a bit of sand.

I bought these two sands on Amazon (https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08FTGKSXL & https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08FTFYHXJ), but they are much too coarse compared to the Oasis sand. I’m thinking about buying masonry sand from a hardware store, but unfortunately, once opened, I won’t be able to return it, and they come in huge bags. Before potentially regretting this purchase and ending up with a huge, useless bag, could I get some help with sand recommendations for European residents? I’ve done a lot of research, but it’s hard to know the grain size of the sand just from a product description. I imagine finding the Oasis sand wasn’t simple either, so it would be great to have some non-US solutions, please.

And I’m not even talking about glitter, but if anyone has a tip, I’d appreciate it. European law prohibits glitter, yet we can order it freely on Aliexpress (for example). However, I haven’t started searching in that direction yet, as I’m more concerned about the future of my Oasis white sand.

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help!

2 Likes